Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 1999 10:52:10 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Dave J. Boers" <djb@Wit389306.student.utwente.nl>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   reading from pcm device

I have been working on a small program to record from the microphone of my
SB16PnP using the pcm driver. Could anyone explain to me why I get a kernel
panic if I read() 8192 bytes at a time (in 8 bit audio, single channel, 41k4
Hz)?

The kernel panic message is (from notes)
panic: feed_root: uiomove failed
mp_lock=00000001; cpuid=0; lapci.id=00000000
boot() called on cpu#0

The panic doesn't occur if I read only 256 bytes at a time, but if I also
make writes in between reading blocks (writes to stdout, for example, using
write() to write the block that's just been read), the problem also happens
with 256 bytes blocks.

I know that the problem doesn't occur for write()'s to the audio device,
since, for example, WSoundServer uses a blocksize of 8192 bytes and it works
fine for me.

This has been happening on a -current machine running SMP on ABIT BP6 with
dual Celeron. The test program runs as an ordinary user, of course. The
processors are overclocked, but bus speed is still 66MHz and system runs fine
otherwise.

Eager for your comments,

Dave Boers.

 Dave J. Boers                     Graduate student of Theoretical Physics