Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 1996 20:20:49 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fdocs@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        kelly@fsl.noaa.gov
Cc:        doug@sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Let's hack on the Handbook! ..my ideas...

> Our on FreeBSD handbook would need an introduction to Berkeley
> sockets, using floating point on the i386, etc., to merit a separate
> book on programming.  James Raynard got us a good start with his
> tutorial on development (yay!).  And if I had the time I'd be happy to
> write a chapter on RPC programming with FreeBSD.

Thanks for the plug :-)

Actually, I was thinking of adding a few programming-related questions
to the FAQ when 2.1.5 is out - things like how to write a screensaver
or how to communicate with the serial ports, which come up every now
and again.  But I agree that there's not really enough to justify a
Programmer's Handbook - after all, FreeBSD is a *very* standard
platform to code for.

If anyone does know of anything that would be useful and isn't already
well covered, I'll be happy to write it up (time and competence
permitting, of course :-)

> Perhaps we use separate definitions for programmer's info ... where is
> this stuff?!?

Just a thought - perhaps the reference is to the papers under
/usr/share/doc? Is it worth polishing those up and making them
accessible using something a bit more sexy than zmore?  There's a lot
of useful information in there, and I'm sure a lot of people must
overlook it completely (I know it took me about 3 releases to realise
what was in there!).

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk