Date:      Fri, 09 Jan 2004 15:35:58 -0600
From:      Matt Freitag <mpf@inodes.us>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where is FreeBSD going? <the never-ending thread>

Narvi wrote:

>>"M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com> writes:
>>

>>>Whatever.  I've consulted lawyers on this who assure me that it is
>>>legal.  You've admitted to not knowing US Copyright law and are aguing
>>>emotion, which is why I didn't reply to the rest of your message.
>>>

>It is not clear that there is a way - as things stand - to get to a point
>where this wouldnot be the case. In appears very doubtful there is such a
>way unless you can get to get everybody whose code has been ever commited
>to send in a real written on paper copyright transfer, the chances of
>which are essentialy 0, even should you be able to trace down all
>involved.

So there are cases of code by authors being committed into the codebase
without their knowledge/consent? This would be a problem. If code is
being committed against license, I definitely see an issue here.
However, If you /GIVE/ your IP to the FreeBSD community, it's no longer
yours. Either way, apparently you'll never make everyone happy, even as
hundreds (or thousands) of people give away their time to produce
something at no cost to you, there's still always going to be someone
complaining. (We refer to this as a sense of entitlement - Many people
have this, and it's an unfortunate growing fad all over.) If you don't
want your code in FreeBSD, don't submit it. Anyone going to pursue some
indictments against Coyote Point Systems? Since their load-balancing
hardware runs FreeBSD, and I don't believe (I'm unsure, but from the
info I've gotten, it doesn't sound like it.) that they give you any of
the source with your purchase of their hardware, Hmm....

-mpf

 |  Resistance is futile, assimilation into the FreeBSD community is
inevitable.