Date:      Thu, 26 Nov 1998 15:07:08 -0500
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Erik Cameron <ecameron@bsd.uchicago.edu>
Cc:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>, eddy@ISI.EDU, Paolo Di Francesco <paipai@tin.it>, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What we need

Erik Cameron wrote in message ID
<19981126131454.A5740@bsd.uchicago.edu>:

> The real problem I've found with this is is the (relatively) large
> amount of assembly code involved in building libc; libc being the
> first thing to work on, IMHO.

>From memory, half the assembly stuff in libc is optimized versions of
speed-critical components (ntohl,bcopy, etc). I seem to remember their being C
versions as well. This isn't true for everything (such as the syscall
interface), but it cuts down on the ammount of work that needs to be done.
A bunch of the .S files you see being compiled/assembled when you make libc
are syscall veneers that are machine generated from a single copy of the file.
So, yes, assembly is required to build libc, but not as much as you might
think. And to be perfectly honest, the biggest hurdle is going to be the
kernel, not libc, and I think thats where your focus should be. You can boot
and debug a kernel without ever needing a libc.

Gary