Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 1996 19:37:46 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
To:        rb@gid.co.uk (Bob Bishop)
Cc:        proff@suburbia.net, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: A simple way to crash your system.

Bob Bishop wrote:

> >> YES!!! You're not alone. I suspect for *most* of users the ability to
> >> transfer data to/from MSDOS partitions/floppies is crucial.  As for me, as
> >> much as I love FreeBSD, I would seriously consider changing it to Linux,
> >> if it were unable to deal with msdosfs.
> >
> >The floppies isn't an issue. You can use the m* utils for this without
> >msdosfs - though I agree data sharing from paritions is very important.
> >
> >Proff
>
> NOOOO!!!! I don't want to dink around with assorted utilities just to copy
> files on and off floppies. Especially when mtools.1:BUGS says (2.1.5) "The
> support for non-Linux OS variants has not been tested for a long time. It
> may contain bugs, or even not work at all." Rather stick with the devil I
> know...

Would anyone object to the following?

By default, msdosfs would in future not mount DOS FSes with a block
size exceeding 32 (or maybe 16) sectors, since these appear to be
the filesystems that trigger the UFS corruption problem.

However, to revert to present behavior (ie. mount any DOS partition),
either:

   (a) Use mount(8) or mount_msdos(8) with the -f (force) option; or
   (b) Specify MSDOSFS_FORCE as a kernel configuration option.

This should offer some protection to unwary users, but not get in the
way of those who are prepared to take their chances.

--
Robert Nordier