Date:      Fri, 30 May 1997 20:53:00 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel Pentium II released

Sean Eric Fagan writes:
 > But this lets me get on a rant:  I am sick of Intel right now.  They have
 > been worrying me for quite a while, as they have a monopoly on the computer
 > market.  (More than 85% of all processors in the world currently in use are
 > Intel processors.  That constitutes a monopoly by most economists
 > definitions.)

Well, maybe for "desktop" computers, but not the entire microprocessor
market.  Until recently, the largest-selling 32 bit architecture was
still the M68K family, which is used by the millions in embedded
applications of all sorts.  I think the largest selling single processor
is now the NEC VR4300, clipping along at about a million units per
*month.*  It is used in both the Nintendo 64 and the Sony Playstation if
you wonder how it achieved those volumes.