Date:      Fri, 9 May 1997 20:06:23 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Jay D. Nelson" <jdn@qiv.com>
To:        Joachim Wunder <Joachim.Wunder@lrz.tu-muenchen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Q: LaTeX - How to install right?

On Sat, 10 May 1997, Joachim Wunder wrote:

->Hi!
->
->I try to get LaTeX work correctly under 2.2.1 Release of FreeBSD.
->If I am installing teTeX-0.4 and LaTeX-2.09 together then nothing really works,
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^
That's your problem. You've installed two incompatible
distributions. Install either teTeX _or_ all the other TeX parts.
They install into two different places. My advice is:

Uninstall all tex packages. If you've installed TeX from the UWash. tapes
and are comfortable with everything lumped together, forget teTeX and
install all other TeX packages. Otherwise, install _only_ the teTeX
distribution and add "/usr/local/teTeX/bin" to your path.

I've done it both ways and prefer the teTeX distribution. Everything you
are likely to need is there and it is _much_ easier to maintain. If you
choose teTeX, you might try running 'texconfig'.

-- Jay

->if I am installing LaTeX-2.09 alone, then it complains about a missing
->german.sty file (o.k., I need german.sty).
->
->Even xdvi complains about a few missing pixel-fonts.
->
->So how and in which order you install a "normal" LaTeX and xdvi?
->
->TIA,
->Achim
->