Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 2008 12:24:29 +0100
From:      Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Delay startup of services in rc.conf || elswhere

On Tuesday 18 November 2008 12:05:33 bsd wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I have a server configured to start 10 services at startup (in /etc/
> rc.conf)
>
> Unfortunately, the startup of MySQL seems to be returning "ok" before
> It actually has started completely the program=85 the next program rely
> on MySQL and does not start well because the database is not "fully"
> started.
>
> I would like to introduce something like a "sleep 10" timer in the
> service startup process=85
>

> How can I do that?

There's no standard support for this. You will have to modify the script in=
=20
(/usr/local)/etc/rc.d/ for that service, specifically the ${name}_start=20
function. You will however have to do this with each update, so it is=20
generally better to contact the author of the service that depends on MySQL=
,=20
to more gracefully start up: if the connection can't be made that it tries=
=20
again until it does (maybe with a max_retries setting). This is very trivia=
l=20
stuff in daemons.

=2D-=20
Mel