Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 2003 02:51:05 -0600
From:      Henrik Hudson <lists@rhavenn.net>
To:        "Makaveli The Don" <eazy927@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I Need Details To Dual Boot Windows XP and FreeBSD

On Tuesday 18 March 2003 02:34, Makaveli The Don wrote:
> How do I dual boot windows xp and FreeBSD? Can someone give me a detailed
> explanation of steps to take?
>
> I have a 40gig hard drive. I don't want to destroy my current installation
> until I have the details down.  I eventually don't mind destroying my
> current installation of windows XP.
>
> So far, this is what I have figured out:
> 1. Fdisk the hard drive to destroy current installation.
> 2. Install windows XP on a 20gig hard drive (or however much I choose).
> 3. Install FreeBSD...
>
> That's all I know.
>
> I need the details for the rest, such as:  when I get to the FreeBSD
> bootloader options what do I choose?
>
> Basically, as much information (details) as you can provide I would greatly
> appreciate.
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> -Bishop

Hey Bishop-

For the most part, if you can install them seperately on the system it's the
same thing to do a dual-boot. You have them in the correct order as well, XP
first and then BSD. You can use XP's installer to wipe the drive to, just
make sure to set your size right and not use the whole drive, ie: 20GB like
you said.

I always do a "Custom" BSD install, so I don't know the steps in the other
screens at all :) The only biggy is that when you are done setting up your
partitions you want to pick install "Boot Manager" . BSD is pretty good at
noticing other partitions and then upon a reboot you will get displayed a
list of choices:

F1	???  for the first partition
F2	FreeBSD to go into your BSD installation

It will remember the last one you picked and set that to the "default".

Hope that helped.

Henrik
--

Henrik Hudson
lists@rhavenn.net

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky
rocket ship underpants don't help."  Calvin