Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 2008 09:35:51 -0500
From:      linimon@lonesome.com (Mark Linimon)
To:        Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, fbsd1@a1poweruser.com
Subject:   Re: ports missing their packages.

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 04:42:18AM -0500, Scot Hetzel wrote:
> So you are advocating that port maintainers have to create packages
> for all the supported FreeBSD architecture's (amd64, arm, i386, ia64,
> mips, pc98, powerpc, sparc64, sun4v).  That would be 9 packages
> needing to be created at the time the port maintainer submits the
> upgrade PR.

Nope, not 9 :-)  You are forgetting FreeBSD 6, 7, and -current have
builds enabled.  OTOH, portmgr is only supporting amd64, i386, and
sparc64 right now, and is not doing sparc64-8 due to lack of machines,
so really the matrix is "only" 8.

The ia64 package builds were stopped due to problems (and the fact
that we only have 2 machines).  There are no package building machines
for the others yet -- and some of them ae really only going to be
used for embedded systems, so only a very minimal subset of ports is
going to be useful.  So far, we've talked about addding machines for
these, but there are no fixed plans so far.

> It could be as simple as forgetting to add the ports subdirectory to
> the category Makefile (i.e www/Makefile).

Actually this is an uncommon problem; every time portmgr builds a
package set, error messages are spit out if things are missing, and
we are quick to email the maintainers :-)

mcl