Date:      Tue, 4 Aug 1998 00:36:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Steve Roskowski <rosko@mpath.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: install friendly?

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Mike Smith wrote:

> > first - as a "new" user of FreeBSD, the install procedure drove me
> > absolutely nuts.  After 8 hours, I handed it over to a professional.  2
> > days, 8 reinstalls of Windows98 & FreeBSD and now it works.  More on this
> > later if it matters.
>
> Depends on whether these are pilot-error mistakes or genuine problems.

Pilot errors *are* genuine problems.  The whole point of
interface design and usability engineering is to deal with pilot
error.  This entails making sure the pilot has a correct
understanding of what they need to do, enabling them to do it
with minimal opportunity for errors, and providing for recovery
when errors do happen.

Okay, now back to your regularly scheduled broadcast.   :-)

-john