Date:      Sun, 23 Feb 2003 00:53:41 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        kalts@estpak.ee
Cc:        "Paul A. Howes" <freebsd-current@fair-ware.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [Re: cc: Internal error: Illegal instruction (program as)

Vallo Kallaste wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 11:18:42PM -0800, Terry Lambert
> <tlambert2@mindspring.com> wrote:
> > I thought this was the default in 5.x GENERIC; has someone turned
> > these options off in the default config?!?
> >
> > I certainly haven't seen changes to locore.s, pmap.c, and machdep.c
> > that would fix the problem by working around the CPU bug.
>
> Can't say anything for Paul's case, he probably had custom kernel
> then? If I can remember peter@ did the options conditional for CPU
> type, so only P4 owners get'em at boot time. Check the Feb 12 commit
> logs.

That's too bad, since it's not a P4 specific problem.  AMD and
other Intel processors will also have the same problem (AMD
seems to have lifted the logic circuit designs directly).  The
problem has definitely been around since the P3 days (the P3 is
where I saw it first).

The only thing that's going to be a factor is amount of memory
in the system, and certain tuning parameters, in which case the
workaround is accidental.

-- Terry