Date:      Sat, 2 Jun 2001 05:37:14 +0200
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
To:        Juha Saarinen <juha@saarinen.org>
Cc:        'Mike Meyer' <mwm@mired.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: poor performance with FreeBSD and Windows ICS

--+HP7ph2BbKc20aGI

Juha Saarinen(juha@saarinen.org)@2001.06.02 12:27:54 +0000:
> :: If you've since it was installed:
> ::=20
> :: # cd /usr/src/share/man/man7
> :: # make
> :: # make install
> ::=20
> :: The first make should tell you what's changed since you last did a
> :: buildworld. The second one will install those files so man can find
> :: them.
>=20
> Thanks. I've got the man page now, but the warning below is a bit
> confusing, isn't it?
no, why?
if you make buildworld from /usr/src, every built file goes to /usr/obj
if you build from a source subdirectory, /usr/src/share/mk/bsd.obj.mk
warns you about building to the current directory. this really is a nice
thing[tm], imagine you would somehow manage it to damage the magic of
the buildworld process by (re)defining the wrong vars in a Makefile
under /usr/src without seeing the informational message ;-) If you would
not be very familiar with the build system and - let's say - make a
company internal release with specific enhancements, you would be=20
searching days for the point of your release build b0rkage...

/k

>=20
> $ make
> Warning: Object directory not changed from original
> /usr/src/share/man/man7
> gzip -cn ascii.7 > ascii.7.gz
> gzip -cn clocks.7 > clocks.7.gz
> gzip -cn environ.7 > environ.7.gz
> gzip -cn hier.7 > hier.7.gz
> gzip -cn hostname.7 > hostname.7.gz
> gzip -cn intro.7 > intro.7.gz
> gzip -cn mailaddr.7 > mailaddr.7.gz
> gzip -cn operator.7 > operator.7.gz
> gzip -cn ports.7 > ports.7.gz
> gzip -cn security.7 > security.7.gz
> gzip -cn tuning.7 > tuning.7.gz
> gzip -cn firewall.7 > firewall.7.gz
> gzip -cn style.perl.7 > style.perl.7.gz
>=20
>=20
> -- Juha
>=20
>=20

--=20
> Gravity is an unforgiving motherfucker.
KR433/KR11-RIPE -- WebMonster Community Founder -- nGENn GmbH Senior Techie
http://www.webmonster.de/ -- ftp://ftp.webmonster.de/ -- http://www.ngenn.n=
et/
karsten&rohrbach.de -- alpha&ngenn.net -- alpha&scene.org -- catch@spam.de
GnuPG 0x2964BF46 2001-03-15 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 B=
F46

--+HP7ph2BbKc20aGI

--+HP7ph2BbKc20aGI--