Date:      Wed, 24 May 1995 10:00:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        maddox@CS.Berkeley.EDU (William Maddox)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Proposed p90 hardware configuration

> I am about to buy a P90 system to run FreeBSD.  My intention is to put
> together a reasonably high-performance and well-balanced system using
> proven, well-regarded components.  I insist on parity memory, and thus
> have disqualified Triton-based systems, despite their performance
> edge.  At current S.F. bay-area discounted prices, the following
> system can be put together for approximately $5000.  I have put these
> specs out for quotations from several local dealers, and expect to
> plunk down the money in the next week or so.

I will make a few breif comments, I can not compete with S.F. Bay
area clone shops on most of this...

>   Intel Pentium 90
OK
>   Micronics M54Pi motherboard w/256k cache,
>     (Intel Neptune chipset, Phoenix BIOS)

Unknown by me, but I have a dislike for Phoenix BIOS's and lack
of flexibility in there setup menus.  Perhaps this has changed
in there Pentium Bios.

>   16 Mb DRAM  (2 x 72-pin 8Mb 60ns SIMMs w/parity)
OK
>   Adaptec 2940 PCI Fast SCSI-II host adapter
OK
>   Hewlett-Packard 3724 1.2Gb 9.5ms 3.5" disk drive w/512k cache
Unknown, but should be a good drive base on other HP drive experience.
>   Hewlett-Packard 35470 2Gb 4mm DAT
Unknown, I would use a ARCHIVE Python DDS-2/DC drive instead, 8G native.

>   Toshiba XM3601B 4x CDROM
Unknown, don't like, it is the caddyless type drive.
>   #9GXE64 PCI graphics accelerator w/ 2Mb DRAM
Good card, have had no problems with #9 in the past.

>   Nokia 447x 17" .25mm dot-pitch Trinitron Monitor
Good.
>   Teac 1.44 Mb 3.5" floppy drive
OK
>   Lexmark (IBM) 101-key keyboard
Unknown, very much a personal preferance item, use it before you buy it.
>   Logitech First Mouse 3-button serial mouse
Unknown, very much a personal preferance item, use it before you buy it.
>   PC Power and Cooling Turbo Cool 300 power supply
Good.
>   PC Power and Cooling Solid-Steel Mini-Tower case w/ 2nd cooling fan
Good.
>   Heatsink and fan for P90 chip
Since you are springing for PC Power and Cooling case and power supply
make sure you get a PC Power and Cooling CPU fan, they are the only
one I will use any more, they have a 5 year warranty on it.  Unlike
most other fans that die within a year when run 24 hours a day PC
Power and cooling CPU fans keep on going, kinda like the Eveready
Battery bunny.

>   MS-DOS 6.2x  (for diagnostics, setup utilities, DOOM, etc.)
:-(.

> Can anyone find any obvious faults with this?
Faults can only be obvious if I have experiernce with the products,
much of what you are buying I have not had first hand experience with.

> I chose the HP drives purely on the strength of HP's reputation and
> warranty.  I would be interested in hearing if anyone has had
> experience, good or bad, with HP SCSI products and the AHA2940 SCSI
> host adapter using either the FreeBSD or the Linux drivers.  Is anyone
> using an HP DAT drive?  I seem to hear the WangDAT mentioned more
> often, and specifically avoided it because it is on the rogue list
> in the FreeBSD driver source.

The WangDat models you find in the rouge gallery are obsolete products,
personally I like the Archive Python series of DAT drives, and use
the DDS-2/DC drive (now known as Conner Model 4326RP) for it's speed
and capacity.

> The choice of the #9 GXE64 2Mb DRAM (S3-864) is almost a shot in the
> dark, and perhaps a timid one.  I chose a #9 product primarily because
> the X-Inside folks claim to work very closely with #9, which means I
> should be able to expect good support if I go the Accelerated-X route.

The #9 GXE64 2MB DRAM card is a safe bet, I use it, and an ASUS card
that is basically the same (easily supported since all the chip are
S3 chips, clock, RAMDAC, etc).

You'll have to talk to the X folks about the other stuff you
mention, and you have been, so let them stear you on this choice.