Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 1999 09:09:10 +0100
From:      Harold Gutch <logix@foobar.franken.de>
To:        Joel Sutton <jsutton@panic.oeit.vic.edu.au>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Advocacy effect of the ports collection

On Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 06:19:04PM +1100, Joel Sutton wrote:
> On 15 Feb 1999, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
>
> > One thing I noticed the other day: if I submit an ftpsearch query for
> > a piece of software that's in our ports collection, most of the hits I
> > get are distfiles on FreeBSD ftp mirrors. Nice to see "FreeBSD"
> > plastered all over your browser when you're actually doing something
> > totally unrelated like installing the latest libpng or whatnot on your
> > University's Solaris / IRIX network :)
>
> Can this be classed as "positive" advocacy??? Sounds like it has the
> potential to annoy a lot of people.

I think it definitely is positive; whenever somebody (normally a
non-FreeBSD user, the FreeBSD-people know about "their"
distfiles-archives :) ) asks me wether I know where he can get
the latest version of lynx, mutt, screen, or any other standard
software, I always answer with a
  ftp.<tld>.freebsd.org:/pub/FreeBSD/distfiles/
and of course add a "yes, that's the normal source you'll find
there, no FreeBSD binary". I haven't heard anybody say anything
negative about that - what's so wrong about a huge source-archive,
wether it has a "FreeBSD" in the host-/directory-name or not ?

There's nothing negative about it, at least not as long as the
people are aware of the fact that they'll find original,
unpatched sources on those FTP-mirrors.
I don't think that I would, say, get the latest screen sources
from ftp.linux.org:/whatever/... if I was in doubt wether I might
find some screen specifically patched for Linux there (no
Linux-bashing intended, this was merely an example).

It's the same with the login-screen on ftp.cdrom.com - people
basically just see that FreeBSD exists and that it does some use
for them (even if it may not be much, but at least they're able
to find the sources they need all in one place).

bye,
  Harold

--
<Shabby> Sleep is an abstinence syndrome wich occurs due to lack of caffein.
Wed Mar  4 04:53:33 CET 1998   #unix, ircnet