Date:      Tue, 27 Dec 2005 21:22:42 -0400 (AST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   "Load Balancing": How Busy are the servers?

Two part question here ... first leads into the second, and the second
might answer the first ...

1. What variables on a server should be monitored to determine how busy a
server is?  For instance, I've always been taugth that 'loadavg' is not an
indication of how busy a server is, since a high loadavg on a single CPU
server might be an overloaded server, but moderately loaded on a dual CPU
server ... disk i/o, cpu usage, ethernet throughput ... what else?

2. Are there any tools that I can run to give me a point in time "summary"
of how busy a server is based on these several factors?

Basically, I'd like to keep track of multiple servers and be able to say
"this server is running >75% of capacity, time to upgrade or move things
off of it" ... if its possible ... ?

thanks ...

----