Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 1997 10:17:25 -0600
From:      jlemon@americantv.com (Jonathan Lemon)
To:        tri@iki.fi
Cc:        phk@critter.dk.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp), current@freebsd.org, emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vm86 in current?

Timo J Rinne writes:
> Poul-Henning Kamp writes:
> > In message <199702041420.QAA06516@pooh.tky.hut.fi>, Timo J Rinne writes:
> > >Hi
> > >
> > >Is the vm86 code going to make its way into the freebsd-current (3.0)
> > >code anytime soon?
> >
> > Yes, If somebody starts working on it.
>
> As far as I understood the stuff in emulation list, someone has.
> It's a bit of the confusion if that stuff lives only in some weird
> patch set.  Of course it's also bad, if the stability of the overall
> system is compromised because of this.

Well, I've been re-working the patch set a little but, and now have a
working set of vm86 patches against -current, which appear to be stable.

I've eliminated a private 'return' to VM86, so now the normal kernel exit
point is used.  The next step I want to do is move the emulation of a couple
instructions (cli/sti) into the kernel, and then add in VME support.

When I get the cli/sti stuff working, I'll submit them to someone for
integration.  Hopefully this week.

BTW, are there any objections if I grow the trapframe/intrframe/clockframe
structures by 4 more words?  It would only affect things that do sizeof(),
and perhaps the kernel debugger.  Otherwise, a new vm86frame structure will
be needed, with a little bit of typecasting back and forth.
--
Jonathan