Date:      Sun, 21 Oct 2001 15:39:44 +1000
From:      Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
To:        Allen Landsidel <all@biosys.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ICQ with NAT problems

Allen Landsidel wrote:

> I read your problem.. now let me state that you are mistaken.
>
> ICQ does not operate this way.
>
> Let me elaborate:
>
> The first thing ICQ does is create a connection to the server.  This is
> an outgoing connection to TCP port 5190 on login.icq.com.
>
> After this, it opens listening TCP ports in the (default) range of
> 1024-65535.  These are used only for client-client communications.

Hmmm yes so it seems...

Perhaps this is only with newer versions of icq client and thats why
other people have not noticed this problem!

Because my client connects to port 4000 on icq.mirabilis.com when it
first logs in and it seems to use udp!

The same seemed true for licq as well when I was using it... Maybe that
has all changed now?