Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2011 11:52:29 -0600
From:      "Mark Felder" <feld@feld.me>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help: Looking to contact someone running FreeBSD on ESX

Hi all,

We have quite a few BSD VMs on our infrastructure and are having some
issues with our main webservers. They die randomly -- ESX shows high/100%
CPU the exact moment it dies (very, very low up until that point), the
console takes keyboard input but doesn't really do anything or switch VTs,
and the server is pingable, but does nothing. We have to hard reboot. This
has been going on for a while and we moved the VMs off our iSCSI SAN and
onto local storge and it's happening still. (Found a few configuration
issues with our SAN; thought it was the issue with preferred paths being
problematic, etc). We really need to contact someone else who has had
success and find out what's different about their environment.

I'd like to note that we're still on ESX 4.0 (and behind a bit there)
because our SAN wouldn't support 4.1 until recently and we haven't had
time to switch.

Personally, I'm convinced this is an ESX issue because BSD never panics
and there's never anything reported on the console when this happens. I'd
really like to hear from someone who has been running FreeBSD in
production on ESX without issues and hopefully they could describe their
setup so we can begin to compare issues.

A few relavent things to note:

The ones that crash are usually our main webservers (Apache, PHP, no MySQL
locally though). We have LOTS of IPs on them and they do a ton of network
traffic, but usually don't have a super high load average (maybe .75 - 1.0
on a normal day?). Currently we're running 8.1-RELEASE on them.

As I said, they're on local storage right now, but they were on iSCSI to
Dell MD3000i SANs (booo, hisss, we're dumping them so dont worry)

ESX servers are a mix of Dell and HP....

Can't think of many more details.

Thanks everyone.

Mark