Date:      Sat, 13 Jul 1996 01:26:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Bryan K. Ogawa" <netvoyage.net!bkogawa@foo.netvoyage.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Tip to improve print resolution w/ HP DeskJet 600

I'm starting a job-search (anyone have FreeBSD related job openings?) and
so I thought I'd start fiddling with groff/troff to do my resume (so that
I can learn something while trying to get a job).  Reconfiguring my
printer (it used to work... honest!) was a little frustrating, mostly
because I didn't reread the handbook (after i did that, it was rather
straightforward -- hpif worked nearly out of the box :) ).

Unfortunately, the output from this configuration wasn't up to my hopes (I
was using the djet500 driver, and was getting what I considered rather
poor output).

In trying to figure out how to configure my printer, I had searched
AltaVista, and some people had recommended using the laserjet 4 driver for
ghostscript ( -sDEVICE=ljet4 ) with the DJ 600 (they are 600x600
resolution printers). I tried that, and voila... instant improvement in
print quality.

If you have a Deskjet 600 (or maybe other of the newer 600x600 deskjets),
you might want to give it a try.

Standard Disclaimers..  Please don't blame me if your printer breaks.

bryan