Date:      Sat, 12 Apr 1997 16:03:00 -0400
From:      dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        scrappy@hub.org, pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Commercial vendors registry

At 12:17 PM 4/12/97 -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:

>> >	Because its a free, non-commercially supported product with nobody
>> >to rant and rave at if there is a problem?
>>
>> Nice excuse, but I doubt it. You get a lot more response ranting at
>> the hackers than you do ranting at microsoft or SCO, unless you're
>> a REALLY BIG vendor.
>
>Yeah, if you're *really* big, then they will politely blow you off
>instead of impolitely ignoring you.  8-) 8-).
>

>> I think it has more to do with:
>>
>> 1) Its a tiny market due to no promotional effort  (ala LINUX)
>
>#1 on my list of reasons, too.
>
>> 2) Lack of commitment to stability of key components, particularly
networking

>#2 lack of commitment to an open architecture (modular components
>so that dicking with one module won't often damage another -- this
>also makes it robust in the the areas your #2 refers to; I think
>your #2 is an effect, not a cause...).
>
>> 3) Most of the key people are running/using/developing under
>> -current rather than the releases. How can there be a perceived
>> commitment to the releases when so much development time is
>> already focused on 3.x?
>
>OK, you lost me here.
>
>If I hack on a release, it's no longer a release, it's a -current.
>All new work following a release must be, by definition, done against
>a -current, not against the release.

There's too much "its fixed in -current" or "it'll be in the next release"
and not enough commitment to getting fixes and important new feature
into the short-term.

For example, right now, most of the effort should be in making 2.3
near-perfect (given the imperfections in 2.2.x), not "dicking around"
with 3.0 or some future, bug-filled release.

>> 4) Lack of focus as to what FreeBSD is (jack of all trades, master
>> of none)
>
>What is the Focus for Linux?

Linux has the same problem.

>BSDI... OK, they have focus, but they don't seem to be winning because
>of it.

BSDIs focus is, unfortunately, misguided because they have a
caste of clowns marketing it.  their latest ads are hurting them...
if they think that they're going to break away with IPX gateway
technology....an intermediate solution that has big problems.

>What is the Focus for SCO?
>What is the focus for Windows 95?  NT Workstation?  NT Server?

Something to consider is that if your big enough, you dont have to
have a focus because you have enough resources to do everything.
People ask why we dont have NT drivers (as I could probably write it
it in a week or 2), but we cant focus on unix if we dilute ourselves
with dealing with and supporting NT. You end up with a bunch
of mediocre products instead on 1 or 2 really good ones. SCO and
microsoft are big enough to be general purpose OSs.....

Dennis