Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 1999 02:07:32 -0500
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Kurt Jaeger" <pi@complx.LF.net>
Cc:        stuart@eclipse.net.uk (Stuart Henderson), andrew@squiz.co.nz (Andrew McNaughton), haifeng@ms.lawton.com.cn (Haifeng Guo), freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mail server setup

"Kurt Jaeger" wrote in message ID
<m10IXJV-000zycC@complx.LF.net>:
> Depends on the setup.

No, it doesn't.

NFS is not the best idea for any system which does hundreds or thousands of
directory lookups per second with little or no file i/o in comparison. If you
think about it for a second, a mail system is just that (in general). You get
a lot of people checking mail, and only a few of those have (new) mail and
download it. This makes NFS a serious pain in the rear (since it can't really
do directory caching).

If you ended up doing a lot of I/O, you'd probably want to be looking at CDDI
or FDDI for NFS also, to cut down on the number of packets and/or fragments
flying around (depending on how you set it up).

> Have a look at:
>
> http://www.earthlink.net/company/mail_arch.html
>
> It describes their e-mail architecture for quite a large user community.

<cynical>
I've often wondered what kick-back they get from NetApp for publishing that
</cynical>

There are other alternatives to NFS. Doing POP3 & SMTP proxying makes a lot
more sense IMNSHO. You basically end up with a set of front-end machines which
do username lookups and route incoming traffic to the appropriate backend. The
system is highly scalable. You just add more machines. By my guess, you'd have
to go well past 1m users to max out full duplex fast ethernet in this setup.

Past posts on this from any number of ppl (mostly me tho :) ) should be in the
archives.

Gary