Date:      21 Jun 1999 20:32:08 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, Doug <Studded@gorean.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG, alex@wnm.net
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Re: misc/11796: Bad lines in 3.2-RELEASE inetd.conf]

Doug <Doug@gorean.org> writes:
> 	In my experience, and in the experience of the PR poster it *is*
> necessary to use the canonical name of the service, however if you can
> check the code, test it thoroughly and determine that inetd works
> perfectly well with aliases, then feel free to change the man page for
> inetd.

Empirical evidence as well as the source code say you're both wrong.
The builtin ident service is listed as "ident" in inetd's table over
internal services.

des@des ~% telnet localhost auth
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
des
des:ERROR:HIDDEN-USER
Connection closed by foreign host.
des@des ~% grep ident /etc/inetd.conf
# Return error for all "ident" requests
ident   stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
# example entry for the optional ident server
#ident  stream  tcp     wait    kmem:kmem       /usr/local/sbin/identd  identd -w -t120
des@des ~% grep ident /usr/src/usr.sbin/inetd/inetd.c
void            ident_stream __P((int, struct servtab *));
        { "ident",      SOCK_STREAM,    1, -1,  ident_stream },
ident_stream(s, sep)            /* Ident service */

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no