Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 1996 16:38:55 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        darrend@novell.com (Darren Davis), chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux 96 (my impressions)  - Reply

> I have to take responsibility for the organization template copied
> from the "FreeBSD + patchkit" days.

You're taking too much credit for something you had no part in.  FreeBSD
came about because of the technical problems of the patchkit (which were
great and many), but the non-technical organization you had nothing to
do with, positive or negative.

> The template resulted from the inherent requirement for a central
> serialization authority for patches because the tools I built were
> simply not up to arbitrating concurrent developement.

That wasn't the problem, though it did lead to patchkit co-ordinator
early-burnout after a few months. :)

> This may, in fact, have
> been a key contributor to the NetBSD/386BSD split -- I know that
> there were at least two people who later became initial members of
> the NetBSD core team who tried to "roll their own" patches in
> patchkit format, only to have them formally rejected.

Umm, no.  A 'patchkit co-ordinator' was offered the position, and this
person refused to answer email, calls, etc.. so a new co-ordinator was
chosen.  The 'replaced' PC rolled some patches which were taken offline
of the sites, but that person never contributed to any of the BSD's
since that point in any real way.  He wasn't part of NetBSD, FreeBSD, or
OpenBSD.

The 'patchkit mentality' had *nothing* to do with the split of
Net/FreeBSD.  The primary reason was personalities, not the least of
which was Bill Jolitz'.

{ Rest of the irrelevant description deleted }

BTW - OpenBSD has a 'core' team, (not everyone has commit priviledges
and someone has to decide who gets commit privs.).  The folks who run
the mirror site and Theo's ownership of the machine which 'owns' the
code puts him in a position of leadership, both technically and
'politically'.

Nate