Date:      Sun, 25 Dec 2005 03:21:43 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Danial Thom <danial_thom@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Miguel Saturnino <mags@oniduo.pt>, Don Hinton <don.hinton@vanderbilt.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD Question's.

On 2005-12-24 14:01, Danial Thom <danial_thom@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Don Hinton <don.hinton@vanderbilt.edu> wrote:
> > For me, FreeBSD is about twice as fast/easy to install/configure,
> > and infinitely cheaper.
>
> Considering that WinXP usually comes on the computer, I don't see how
> "installing and configuring FreeBSD" can be easier than having to do
> nothing at all?

Windows XP comes preinstalled, yes.  Not "preconfigured" too.  It so
happens that configuring a Windows XP system to match one's preferences
has the potential to:

    a) Screw the machine up so completely and utterly that a reinstall
       is required.
    b) Take a lot of time.  A huge lot of time, because of all the
       different 'driver' installation processes.

On 2005-12-24 14:01, Danial Thom <danial_thom@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Don Hinton <don.hinton@vanderbilt.edu> wrote:
> > > 2) General productivity advantages in a typical day. ie: what can
> > > you do with FreeBSD that you can't do in WinXP, and what is faster
> > > or more productive in FreeBSD
> >
> > Depends on what you use it for.  I'm a C++ developer, and have a
> > need to examine/search/manipulate text files quite often, Windows,
> > out of the box, is inappropriate for this type of work.  I'd have to
> > install all sorts of applications, e.g., cygwin, et al, to get the
> > applications/capabilities that come "out of the box" on a typical
> > *nix system, FreeBSD, Linux, etc...
> >

> I'm a developer also, but I don't use the FreeBSD desktop for this, I
> log into my freeBSD server with my desktop browser or telnet/ssh.  I
> don't see how such things are relevent to using one desktop over the
> other.

Why should you have to use remote SSH to a second system, when you can
just pop up an xterm and instantly have all the power of the tools you
actually *do* use today too?

> I don't expect you to care, but saying you "prefer FreeBSD" and saying
> "FreeBSD is better" are different animals. I just wanted to know what
> you could do with FreeBSD that you can't do with Windows. I already
> know what I can do with Windows that I can't do with FreeBSD.

There are a lot of things that can be done with FreeBSD, which are
practically impossible or very confusing in Windows.  Then there's also
the stability issue :)