Date:      Sun, 9 Feb 2003 05:32:41 +0200
From:      Alexandr Kovalenko <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>
To:        Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Is FreeBSD Ready for the Desktop?

Hello, Johnson David!

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 01:14:41PM -0800, you wrote:

> There's a guest column by Samba team leader John Terpstra on DesktopLinux.com.
> It talks about what is needed by Linux to win in the corporate environment.
>
> <http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT3610565657.html>;
>
> I checked it out to see what FreeBSD needed to do to win over the same
> consumers. Surprisingly enough, FreeBSD is already there. Ironically, reading
> through John's list, it seems that those Linux distros that claim to be the
> most "desktop ready" are those furthest from achieving that goal.
>
> This article is a great argument in favor of FreeBSD. It's not about pretty
> installers and flashy desktops, it's about choice, stability, security, and
> making the user's life easier.

Anyway we should not forget about bells and whistles too. For example,
maybe FreeBSD Foundation can find money to fund development of
ports/sysutils/barry (which is 'bells-and-whistles' KDE frontend for
ports/packages manipulations), and similar tool for GNOME?

--
NEVE-RIPE, will build world for food
Ukrainian FreeBSD User Group