Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 1996 19:50:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
To:        linuxisp@lightning.com
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   CIX membership alternatives

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 1996 21:02:56 -0500
From: Paul Ferguson <pferguso@cisco.com>
To: Michael Dillon <michael@MEMRA.COM>
Cc: Multiple recipients of list IAP <IAP@VMA.CC.ND.EDU>, calan@electrici.com,
    woody@zocalo.net
Subject: Re: CIX membership

At 06:43 PM 4/4/96 -0800, Michael Dillon wrote:

>On Thu, 4 Apr 1996, John Kupiec wrote:
>
>> SO is it time for the smaller service providers to reconsider membership in
>> the Commercial Internet eXchange Association?
>
>Definitely time to consider it. Have a look at the rates at
>http://www.cix.org/CIXInfo/96categories.html
>and read some of the other info. I don't know if they will accept small ISP's
>at the $1,000/year rate but it does say that it's targetted towards
>smaller companies. And if you want full membership with no CIX router
>connection it is only $5,000/year. Only the people who also want the CIX
>router connection (IMHO not worth that much) need to pay the additional
>$5,000 to bring the annual fee to $10,000.
>
>Definitely should be looked into...
>
>Michael Dillon                                    Voice: +1-604-546-8022
>Memra Software Inc.                                 Fax: +1-604-546-3049
>http://www.memra.com                             E-mail: michael@memra.com

I would also recommend looking into a California-based consortium that
is just starting up called Packet Clearing House [PCH]. These folks
are definitely geared towards the small Internet access provider.

See:

 http://hardhat.zocalo.net/pch.html

- paul

--
Paul Ferguson                                           ||        ||
Consulting Engineering                                  ||        ||