Date:      Sun, 24 Aug 1997 06:54:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Pechter <pechter@lakewood.com>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rumors of the death of Unix have been greatly exaggerated...

> On Thu, Aug 21, 1997 at 04:12:49PM -0600, Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC wrote:
>
> 5 years ago, most superficial computer users thought that Microsoft
> was the best thing since sliced bread.  Nowadays, I notice significant
> displeasure with Microsoft even in their own user base, even though NT
> is indubitably better than DOG.  In addition, the desktop market is
> getting saturated, while other areas, notably telecom, are still
> growing.  I don't see Microsoft getting a good foothold with Telcos,
> and things like the Mars landing and Deep Blue should also (if people
> only knew) be good advertisments for UNIX.
>
> > NT, I sneer at thee!  ;^)
>
> The German equivalent of "say no to <foo>" is "<fu>, nein danke"--No
> Thanks.  With that background, and abbreviated: Microsoft, NT.
>
> Greg

Actually, NT is doing very well within Telcos.  Lucent and AT&T have moved
their desktops and a number of pieces of development to NT boxes.  (Price
drives all decisions in the free market.)

Since Unix is not a free item anymore (like it was when AT&T ran it's business
on 11/70's running modified versions of V7 and SysIII) they're beginning to
look to Intel hardware with cheap OS's...  When I worked with an IBM group
on TMN software (telecomm network management software on top of NetView)
there was talk about other platforms (such as NT) being requested by a number
of telcos.

Deep Blue still doesn't sell a lot of AIX for IBM.  (But it sure looked fairly
impressive to me!)

Bill
 Bill Pechter | 17 Meredith Drive Tinton Falls, NJ 07724 | 908-389-3592
 pechter@lakewood.com | Save computing history, give an old geek old hardware.
 This msg brought to you by the letters PDP and the number 11.