Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 2002 15:19:43 -0700
From:      Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
To:        "Long, Scott" <Scott_Long@adaptec.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cdrtools doesn't build on -current

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 05:37:22PM -0400, Long, Scott wrote:
> No, the systems people do do stuff wrong.  It's been plainly pointed
> out many times recently when someone does something wrong.  However,
> what's wrong with a little cooperation?  If a port breaks because of
> a system change, the maintainer of the port is certainly welcome to
> raise a stink over it.  All I'm asking is that ports maintainers make
> an effort to maintain their ports.  Will's accertation that it's an
> all or nothing issue is certainly not productive, and neither is the
> 'us versus them' inuendo here.

You need to re-read my message.  I merely said it shouldn't be a
total effort on the part of ports developers, as you imply.  That
is counter-productive (since it's unfair to assume they all know
exactly what the change results in).  All I'm asking for is a
little foresight on the part of those that break things in
-CURRENT.  It's much easier just to leave (a) port(s) broken for a
couple months while the dust settles in -CURRENT, as developers
there continue to leave ports people in the dark on the effects
of their changes and common approaches to fixing the problems.
Only when that is resolved is it reasonable to expect *all* ports
maintainers to keep up.

Regards,
--
wca