Date:      Sun, 6 Jul 2003 01:40:15 -0400
From:      Jerry Hicks <gehicks@alltel.net>
To:        Paul Robinson <paul@iconoplex.co.uk>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RMS says: "Use BSD, for goodness sake!"

On Thursday, June 26, 2003, at 07:51  AM, Paul Robinson wrote:

> The big one is gcc. Remove that, and we're really rolling. The
> alternatives
> aren't very good though - TenDRA? I remember the troll a few weeks ago
> suggesting this, and maybe it's a plan. The impact would be massive
> though.

Plan 9's compilers are the closest thing I've seen toward a compiler
that could be used to bootstrap a BSD.  I believe one would pay a hefty
price in terms of optimization however.

I actually got the assembler, compiler and linker working on Freebsd a
while back.  The Plan 9 compiler suite generates COFF output though and
I needed to get a crt0 set up for it (which I never did).  FreeBSD's
IBCS image activator was able to load the images without a hitch.

> All those makefiles with command line options to be passed to gcc...

Bah, child's play :-)

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks
gehicks@alltel.net