Date:      Sun, 13 Oct 2002 17:12:20 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Old port recompiles needed (Re: Unknown symbol "__sF")

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > Compression gets rid of about 36MB.
>
> How long did that take to compress though?

2 minutes on a P3-800 with 128M of RAM and one IDE disk.  Doesn't matter,
because all it really adds is latency.

> What load did the machine that did the compression have?  Currently,
> the snapshots.jp.freebsd.org machines build releases every 24 hours
> which last 4-9 hours.  I'm not sure if the same machines could spare
> some cycles to compress the ISO images, or the disk space to store
> almost duplicate copies of the same ISO images twice (compressed, and
> uncompressed).  The best people to ask about things like these are
> the jp.freebsd.org admins and not a local compression program imho.

The space argument may be valid; though, in that case, you'd expect
that compressed images would be the only images that would be there.
8-).

> > I think the correct answer is maybe "because the FAQ maintainers
> > have broadband connections"...
>
> No we don't.  My "ultrafast" connection is in fact a 28.8 Kbit/sec
> dialup connection.  This is why I don't download entire ISO images,
> but instead do FTP-installs.  So, there you go ;)

It's *incredibly* hard to get a -current machine initially installed
from sources corectly.  It's easier to use the ISO's, even if they
take a very long time to download.  It's either that, or don't start
following -current.

> Not very irrelevant, as it might seem at first.  Because I'm not
> talking about the FTP server that delivers the files, but about the
> server that 'builds the snapshots'.
>
> The donations list of freebsd.org lists requests for better, faster
> release building machines for the Japan cluster.  If you really think
> that you can help, I'd be glad to be proven wrong by a generous
> donation to the guys who have saved my -current installation at home a
> dozen times with their snapshots.

3.5 hours worth of additional FTP downloading time per download, vs.
two minutes of compression time...

-- Terry