Date:      Thu, 06 Aug 1998 10:41:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Patrick Gardella <patrick@cre8tivegroup.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jdk1.1.6.V98-7-21.tar.gz

>From the license I signed:
Sun grants to Licensee the royalty-free right to distribute binary code
developed and compiled from the Licensed Software in accordance with Subsection
1.1 above ("Derived Binaries"), provided that: (i) Derived Binaries are not
integrated, bundled, combined or associated in any way with a product, (ii)
there is no charge associated with such distribution, (iii) Derived Binaries are
fully compatible with the then-current version of the publicly available test
suite supplied by Sun which verifies Java compatibility ("JavaTest Suite")
and must remain compatible with subsequent versions of the JavaTest Suites and
upgraded Licensed Software, and (iv) Derived Binaries are distributed subject to
a license agreement containing terms and conditions at least as protective of
Sun as those included in the binary code license used by Sun for internet
distribution of the Java binaries. In the event that Licensee desires that such
distribution be fee-based, or be associated with a product, Licensee must
execute a commercial license agreement with Sun.

Are we considering the CD either (a) a product or (b) charging for it?
I don't consider that we are doing either. If JDK can be place in a book, and
the book can be charged for, why can't we distribute them?

And we've been distributing jdk102 on CD's for a while.  I checked my
2.2.5-RELEASE CD's.  It's on disk four in the /usr/ports/distfiles directory.

On another matter.  Since I was reading the source license, what about this
clause:

"Licensee shall not export, re-export or transfer, whether directly or
indirectly, Licensed Software or Derived Binaries or direct products thereof, to
any person or company who is a legal resident or is controlled by a
legal resident of any proscribed country listed in the U.S. Export
Administration Regulations (or any equivalent thereof) unless properly
authorized by the U.S. Government."

Are we "exporting" in a legal sense?

Patrick