Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 2006 21:24:39 -0300 (ADT)
From:      User Freebsd <freebsd@hub.org>
To:        backyard1454-bsd@yahoo.com
Cc:        Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stand up and be counted - BSDStats Project

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006, backyard1454-bsd@yahoo.com wrote:

> Personally I don't think this stuff should be tracked in any centralized
> fashion. I don't particullarly like when our freedom to choose to do
> something is tracked or monitored; because it is no longer a freedom.
> Maybe that is just paranoia speaking.

none of your freedoms will be in any way infringed upon with what is
proposed ... you will always have the freedom to disable the reporting and
not particpate *shrug*

> I think a much more productive goal is to get all the users that have
> unsupported hardware to write into the vendor that created it and ask
> them why they don't support a spawn of the OS that allowed what we call
> the internet to exist. Put this message on FreeBSD.org, get people in
> this list to do it, get on a soap box and scream it. I think giving them
> numbers of systems will just be ignored. But getting 1000 emails a day
> in multiple languages from around the world will get them thinking maybe
> its worth at least releasing the specs just to shut these people up.

The above is an "active campaign", which you will generally find doesn't
yield anything, unfortunately, since its more work then 99.9% of the
people will feel compelled to do ...

As ScottL said in one of his emails, in a form ... We don't want to piss
Adaptec off, which a "letter writing campaign" would ... what we want to
do is give Adaptec something to think about in terms of 'market missed'

----