Date:      Fri, 04 Aug 2006 15:21:06 -0400
From:      Xiao-Yong Jin <xj2106@columbia.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Midnight Commander in base distribution set

Thomas Dickey <dickey@radix.net> writes:

> On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 02:11:20PM -0400, Xiao-Yong Jin wrote:
>> Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com> writes:

>> > Actually, mc is pretty lightweight if you disable all the options.  Note
>
> ;-)
>
>> Anyway, for a base system, it's still a bit heavy.  In fact, one can
>> always do anything with cp/mv....  I believe the base system should
>> only include the simplest solution, that is, the most fundamental
>> tools one needs, and without redundancy.
>
> "anything", given enough time/energy.

Yes.  That's what the port system came for.  You cannot just put
anything into the base system, even if it's lightweight.  Perhaps many
people love mc, but there are people who have never used it.
(Personally, I prefer dired in Emacs.)  And I believe you can always
do much more with basic tools than you do with mc, right?  ;-) Much
more, given enough time/energy.

I always believe we should keep the base system as simple as
possible.  Actually, if it's really hard to connect to the internet,
one can always burn a CD full of distfiles.

> This is more lightweight than mc, and does things that mc doesn't:
>
> 	http://invisible-island.net/ded/

Interesting.  You can try to make it into the ports tree.

--
Xiao-Yong