Date:      Thu, 6 Aug 1998 08:53:32 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Patrick Gardella <patrick@cre8tivegroup.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jdk1.1.6.V98-7-21.tar.gz

> >From the license I signed:
> Sun grants to Licensee the royalty-free right to distribute binary code
> developed and compiled from the Licensed Software in accordance with Subsection
> 1.1 above ("Derived Binaries"), provided that: (i) Derived Binaries are not
> integrated, bundled, combined or associated in any way with a product, (ii)
> there is no charge associated with such distribution, (iii) Derived Binaries are
> fully compatible with the then-current version of the publicly available test
> suite supplied by Sun which verifies Java compatibility ("JavaTest Suite")
> and must remain compatible with subsequent versions of the JavaTest Suites and
> upgraded Licensed Software, and (iv) Derived Binaries are distributed subject to
> a license agreement containing terms and conditions at least as protective of
> Sun as those included in the binary code license used by Sun for internet
> distribution of the Java binaries. In the event that Licensee desires that such
> distribution be fee-based, or be associated with a product, Licensee must
> execute a commercial license agreement with Sun.

So far so good.  Note the 'for internet distribution'.

> Are we considering the CD either (a) a product or (b) charging for it?

It's a product for Walnut Creek.  Matter of fact, the CD *is* the only
product from WC.

> I don't consider that we are doing either. If JDK can be place in a
> book, and the book can be charged for, why can't we distribute them?

As a matter of fact, you can't in fact put the JDK on a CD and
distribute it with a book.

> And we've been distributing jdk102 on CD's for a while.  I checked my
> 2.2.5-RELEASE CD's.

Look again.  The only thing in the package is the class files.  The
actual JDK distribution isn't in there.

> On another matter.  Since I was reading the source license, what about this
> clause:
>
> "Licensee shall not export, re-export or transfer, whether directly or
> indirectly, Licensed Software or Derived Binaries or direct products thereof, to
> any person or company who is a legal resident or is controlled by a
> legal resident of any proscribed country listed in the U.S. Export
> Administration Regulations (or any equivalent thereof) unless properly
> authorized by the U.S. Government."
>
> Are we "exporting" in a legal sense?

That's a sticky matter best left up to lawyers.  Due to a legal
precedence set by a lawyer in S.F., Walnut Creek's lawyers have deemed
it 'OK' to distribute some of the products deemed illegal by the export
laws, and to be honest I haven't cared much about it.

Maybe I should????

Nate