Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 2002 01:04:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Wesley Morgan <morganw@chemikals.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X problems & 5.0... -RELEASE?

On Sun, 13 Oct 2002, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 11:28:51PM -0400, Wesley Morgan wrote:
>
> > I know there is some work being done on the recent signal changes to fix
> > some things, but are we sure this is the problem? I would hate to see
> > release schedules pushed back because these problems are lost in the
> > noise, and I can't see a release being made that has a known unstable X.
>
> I thought this was believed to be a bug in X that was exposed by
> kernel changes.

The Type1/bezier problems supposedly are, but as for the rest... I don't
know. That's what my concern is -- if we uncovered a bug, even though its
"an X problem", the OS will still be blamed. Could the X server be doing
something so absolutely completely braindamaged that these new-fangled
signal things cause it to simply quit working? Surely an X bug of this
magnitude would not be so localized and would have turned up on other
platforms and even 4.x.

I have a lot of faith in the RE team, and faith in 5.0 being a great new
branch... It has some features that are a MUST for desktops and laptops --
firewire, acpi, cardbus, to name a few -- but a stable X is also a must.
We don't want to become like Apache 2 ;)