Date:      13 Oct 2002 23:00:08 -0700
From:      Eric Anholt <eta@lclark.edu>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Wesley Morgan <morganw@chemikals.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: X problems & 5.0... -RELEASE?

On Sun, 2002-10-13 at 21:14, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 11:28:51PM -0400, Wesley Morgan wrote:
>
> > I know there is some work being done on the recent signal changes to fix
> > some things, but are we sure this is the problem? I would hate to see
> > release schedules pushed back because these problems are lost in the
> > noise, and I can't see a release being made that has a known unstable X.
>
> I thought this was believed to be a bug in X that was exposed by
> kernel changes.
>
> Kris

I've heard some people saying that it's the bezier bug.  When I had
moved to late September/early October kernels, I saw sig11s and the
hangs (some temporary, some resulting in reset switch before they could
be temporary), but never that message people have mentioned about the
Beziers.  I couldn't see *any* pattern to my crashes.  It often happened
while I was reading email, but then I spend a decent amount of time
reading mail.

The xpert@xfree86.org archived message mentioned previously about Type 1
issues listed two bugs.  One was an abort on an error, which we aren't
experiencing as far as I've heard.  The other was not failing requests
for very large fonts, which shouldn't be happening too often and
shouldn't have anything to do with the kernel version.

Could anyone who is having stability issues with X please email me
privately if they are using either -current before September or
-stable?  If not, without some sort of hints of where an issue really
is, I'm going to chalk this up to kernel bugs.

--
Eric Anholt <eta@lclark.edu>
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/dri/