Date:      Thu, 6 Aug 1998 09:11:55 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Patrick Gardella <patrick@cre8tivegroup.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jdk1.1.6.V98-7-21.tar.gz

> >> Are we considering the CD either (a) a product or (b) charging for it?
> >
> > It's a product for Walnut Creek.  Matter of fact, the CD *is* the only
> > product from WC.
>
> I was considering a product to be a Java product that JDK was bundled with.  If
> it's any product, then we can't distribute it, as you have said.

Lawyers in the past have made no distinction between 'charging for
media' and charging for 'product'.  I expect Sun's lawyers to behave the
same, and so do all of the other porters.

> >> I don't consider that we are doing either. If JDK can be place in a
> >> book, and the book can be charged for, why can't we distribute them?
> >
> > As a matter of fact, you can't in fact put the JDK on a CD and
> > distribute it with a book.
>
> Hum.  I wonder if they have a commercial license, or if we can arrange with
> Sun to distribute it freely on the CD.  I'll follow that up.

A commercial license costs close to a million $$.  I talked with someone
whose company actually bought one, and there's no way WC is going to do
that just to distribute the JDK.

As far as SUN allowing giving dispensation, I gave up on trying to have
any meaningful relationship with them.  They promised 6-9 months ago
that we (the FreeBSD java porters) would get access to the JDK1.2
sources long before they went public.  I kept on them for weeks until
they finally quit answering email.  Apparently the Linux folks have the
same problem, and their advocate *works* for Javasoft.

Nate