Date:      Sat, 10 Feb 2007 03:06:36 +0100
From:      Michael Nottebrock <lofi@freebsd.org>
To:        vistua@sdf.lonestar.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pppd crashes, was: kde-freebsd

--nextPart8873188.dNgKqkqs1I

On Friday, 9. February 2007 22:48, John Walthall wrote:

> Because of known problems with=20
> PPPD, KPPP should provide at least the option of using user land PPP.
> You may of course differ from this view. However, unless a large outcry
> arises, I will not close the bug. I think that it is, in-fact a bug.
> Bugs are sometimes a bit subjective. The KPPP Developers can always
> ignore me.

No, bugs are not 'a bit subjective'. With just a little actual analysis and=
=20
straight thinking it is very easy to determine what is a bug and where the=
=20
bug is.

The fact that KPPP does not support ppp(8) is not a bug, it is a missing=20
feature. If you want to request a feature, you open a wish, not a bug, you=
=20
word it nicely and preferably attach some code that implements that feature=
,=20
because this is how community-driven open source development works. Did it=
=20
ever cross your mind that the KPPP developer(s) might not even use FreeBSD?

The fact that machines panic or freeze when KPPP is used is not a bug in KP=
PP=20
either, because KPPP is nothing but a front-end to the software that causes=
=20
the problem. By principle, a kernel panic or freeze is never an application=
's=20
fault, because the kernel should never panic and never freeze, no matter wh=
at=20
an application does. Therefore, the bug report needs to go into FreeBSD's=20
bugtracker (someone else already filed one, see my previous mails for the=20
URL), not KDE's.

All that your "bug report" accomplishes is broadcasting your bad and=20
uninformed attitude to an even bigger audience. It is in your own and the=20
=46reeBSD community's best interest to backtrack before anyone gets to form=
 a=20
negative opinion on both.

=2D-=20
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org