Date:      Mon, 9 Jun 2008 11:17:48 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Tobias Hoellrich <thoellri@adobe.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Flashplugin

On Sat, Jun 07, 2008 at 05:09:08PM -0700, Tobias Hoellrich wrote:

> [Disclaimer: I work for Adobe Systems. I have nothing to do with the
> Flash Player. I'm a grunt who works on other stuff. This is my personal
> opinion as a long-time FreeBSD user and I'm not making any statements
> for Adobe.]

This is encouraging.   Is that info really enough to create a player
such as Flash 9?

I hope some folks will take a good shot at it.  It is really beyond me.

> And Gnash (http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/), which was started before
> the spec was available, will certainly benefit from this.
>
> And to address a previous message: if your bank requires you to use the
> Flash Player to make a transaction, then you will need to get in touch
> with your bank and not blame it on the non-existence of the Flash Player
> on your platform. A disabled person with a text-only browser or a
> screen-reader will certainly have the same issues.

Companies who insist on their front pages and their functional things
such as sales using flash or some other gimmick are inflicted with
persons who are more interested in supplanting their egos than
making the online product work for the company.

But, if the web page has all its business in normal html and only
uses flash and other such stuff as extra attraction and advertising
then, no problem.   A little eye candy on the side is not the issue.
It is when the essentials are all blocked and made non-functional
by the eye candy that the company and/or web designer is way off base.

> My offer stands: if anybody can provide the numbers above, I'm going to
> forward them to the right people and work things from my end.

The numbers come out each month (BSD Stats), but unfortunately they really
represent only a fraction of the actual number of BSD systems in use.  They
also do not distinguish between server and desktop use -- which is sometimes
impossible anyway since many systems, such as the one I am typing on right
now, are used for both.

////jerry