Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 1998 13:58:43 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        daniel_sobral@voga.com.br, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make_device_driver.sh

Terry Lambert scribbled this message on Jan 8:
> > > Is there any chance I can convince you to do seperate open/close calls
> > > for each instance of an open or a close?
> > >
> > > PHK wanted this last year, but was shouted down because of the impact
> > > it would have.  If you are about to cause the same magnitude impact
> > > in the same area... it seems like a logical time to bring this up again.
> >
> > I personally like that idea too, but the problem is that the changes
> > that I'm making won't effect that part (cdev/bdev structs) of the system..
> > this only handles how devices are "attached", but the resources they
> > provide (cdev/bdev/tty) are something different...
>
> I was thinking more in the sense that the change is going to dictate
> that every device driver change to rev it to work with the new code.
>
> If there is going to be an acceptable reason to rev all of the device
> code, then the not-quite acceptable reasons should shoe-horn in... the
> old "in for a penny, in for a pound" theory.

yeh... but the only problem is all the extra work that has to go into
it (which I will have to do)... plus, the more you change, the more
likely it's going to break.. :)

> At least contact PHK about it... 8-).

will do...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD