Date:      Sat, 19 May 2001 05:09:46 +0900
From:      "T.SHIOZAKI" <tshiozak@bsdclub.org>
To:        i18n@freebsd.org, audit@freebsd.org
Cc:        bsd-locale@hauN.org
Subject:   Re: CFR: ISO_* -> ISO-* locale renaming

From: "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
Subject: CFR: ISO_* -> ISO-* locale renaming
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 20:37:06 +0400

> In the spirit of GNU locale (which use IANA charsets too) I plan to rename
> our ISO_* locales to ISO-* ones, because ISO-* is preferred name according
> to http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets and we have only one
> locale name, it should be preferred. GNU locale use preferred MIME names
> in the first place too.

Your suggestion seems not so bad for me, because this policy is at least
better than the current naming policy and there is a widely-used system
that takes MIME names as the primary codeset names, that is Linux.
Sure, the current locale naming policy of FreeBSD has several problems,
e.g. "ja_JP.EUC" is absolutely wrong.

# At this point, I'm more tolerant than Soda-san :-),
# although I prefer "traditional" UNIX locale naming policy.

I dare to say,
  - We should take an examination about the other policy at least once,
    that is the "traditional" UNIX locale naming policy taken by
    X, Tru64, HP-UX, etc.
    This convention is well used, although TOG no longer authorize nor
    maintain this name.  On the other hand, Linux is the only system which
    uses MIME names as locale codeset now.
  - At least in Japan, nobody uses "ja_JP.EUC-JP".
    Instead, most Japanese people (even Linux users) use "ja_JP.eucJP"
    (and FreeBSD users still use ja_JP.EUC :-<).
    "ja_JP.eucJP" was determined by Japanese UNIX vendors' council and
    the effect of this past determination is still alive.
    We should prepare some aliases for such popular names,
    even if we take MIME names for locale codeset policy.
  - rename src/doc/ja_JP.eucJP once again?

--
Takuya SHIOZAKI