Date:      Thu, 23 May 1996 17:31:23 -0400
From:      dennis@etinc.com (Dennis)
To:        "Karl Denninger, MCSNet" <karl@mcs.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISDN Compression Load on CPU

>> Karl D. writes...
>>
>> >Again, note - no spinning media, no PC-bus issues....
>>
>> I really hate this garbage argument. Novell servers with uptimes
>> over a year are commonplace...PC bus, spinning media and all.
>> you only have problems with drives that are too fast, too hot and
>> too overworked, which simply isnt the case with a router scenario.
>>
>> Dennis
>
>Yeah, and I have BSD boxes with uptimes in the hundreds of days too.
>
>I also have CISCOs under management with uptimes measured in *years*.  One
>in particular with an uptime of over *four* years.  The *normal* reason
>that these CISCOs reboot is because the power goes away (usually
>intentionally and for maintenance purposes).  An awful lot of the
>*CORE* hardware on my backbone has never had an unsolicited reload,
>and it works VERY hard.

Gee, my provider uses Ciscos and they're doing "maintenance" on them
like once a month. Software upgrade or not...if you bring it down, it ain't
up "for years", and I cant imagine anyone still using the crap that cisco
was selling 4 years ago without upgrading.....

>In general, moving parts mean lower reliability.  Further, not one PC
>(or component) builder in 1000 knows item #1 about thermal engineering,
>which is why all those drives, power supplies, and motherboards burn up
>and burn out.  Fans on processors?  With REAL MTBFs in the
>single-digit-thousand hour ranges?  Yeah, right.

For someone whos rich and idealistic, yeah :-).

 I'll bet that if you asked 100 people if they'd deal with a crash every 8 or 9
months to save $10,000 on a box they'd go for it 98 to 2, and we know
who 1 of those 2 would be.....

Dennis