Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 1996 09:15:01 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        cracauer@cons.org (Martin Cracauer)
Cc:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, dbetz@bix.com
Subject:   Re: Interest in large collection of Lisp/Scheme implementations?

> Christoph Kukulies writes:
> > > - Is there some interest to have such a wide collection of
> > >   Lisp-related packages on FreeBSD or do you think is a rather
> > >   pointless or would you fear FreeBSD could be seen as some kind of
> > >   "new Lisp machine"?
>
> > You're thinking of the rise and fall Symbolics, right? ;-)
>
> Well, I'm afraid we have to wait until Emacs is based on Guile instead
> of elisp. The reel feeling needs an Editor and an environment hosted in
> the same live world. Stallman pushes this step, so there is hope.
>
> But, in fact, right now I sit in front of a photocopy of one of these
> fancy keyboards with 'Windows 95' keys, scratching the ugly MS logos
> from it and labeling keys 'meta', 'super', 'hyper', 'symbol',
> 'select', painting circles and quares and do a xmodmop to make the
> useless caps lock above the left shift a backwards delete key :-)

I have such a keyboard myself. Well, the Windows logo key isn't that bad.
Ever used netscape to read mail? Pressing WinKey+Alt with arrow up/down
lets you scroll up/down messages in the netscape mail reader.

> [followups on this paragraph are better directed to -chat]
>
> [...]
> > I would like to see such a collection. When you cover 20 implementations
> > I'm sure my favourite LISP, namely XLISP (XSCHEME) will be included.
>
> I planned to do so for Common Lisp and Scheme. In fact, I don't eally
> like xlisp because it caused it lot of code to be written that is not
> useable on other implementations and xlisp is to a good part
> responsible for the myth that Lisp has to be slow.

I don't know if you know the byte code version of XLISP (was it 3.0?).
I will cc this to dbetz@bix.com :-)