Date:      Wed, 02 Jul 1997 15:44:54 -0600
From:      Joshua Fielden <shag@concentric.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hoek@hwcn.org, Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>, Francisco Reyes <francisco@natserv.com>, FreeBSD Chat List <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why Not Make tcsh the default shell?

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > No, it doesn't take any Real Work(c).  Sysinstall already allows
> > the user to read docs before beginning the install.  A short
> > blurb can be added to one of those docs.  I don't think the
> > README would be unsuitable (although I can envision arguments
> > against it).
>
> Sorry, but I'm afraid that's just naive. :-(
>
> Adding docs only helps about 10% of the population - it's a worthwhile
> percentage and don't think that this is me saying that I'm against
> adding docs, I'm not.  I'm simply saying that the great majority of
> users don't even read the docs currently provided.  Reading docs takes
> an active step on the user's part, and users don't want to take such
> steps as a general rule - they want the installation process to do
> that and simply ask them questions if a configuration issue comes up.
>
> And if it sounds like I'm selling the users short on this, trust me -
> I'm not. :-( I've done front-line tech support for long enough to know
> that people just don't read the floppy docs and, if you're lucky,
> might take a peek at README.TXT before diving in.  I probably answer
> the questions which are documented in full detail in *.TXT more often
> than any of the others.
>
>                                         Jordan

I can second that. At my last job, my most common convo was:
"<information>. By the way, that's documented in the help file, the
README, the manual on page <x> AND the tech support section of the web
page."

"c'mon, who reads the documentation?"

the scary part was we sold, among other things, RAID 0/1 drivers, and
still got this. :-)
--
SCSI is *not* magic.  There are many technical
reasons why it is occasionally necessary to