Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 17:30:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What to tell to Linux-centric people?!

[snipped]

On Wed, 28 Jul 1999, Terry Lambert wrote:

> And I tried rerunning the shell script under all the other
> shells on the box, but it failed for lack of bash "extensions".
>
> My conclusion?
>
> "Standard plus extensions" is the same thing as "non-standard".
>
> I guess whoever wrote bash never had to deal with NDS being
> "Standard X.500 plus Novell extensions" or the Novell print
> model being "Palladium plus Novell extensions".
>
> Morons who add extensions, and then turn them on by default,
> are the bane of interoperability everywhere.

	Aren't we mixing apples and cumquats here? You can't blame the
shell itself if some twit writes a script that's supposed to be portable
using non-portable scripting conventions, can you? I'm one of the biggest
Bash advocates I know, but whenever I write sh scripts I am very careful
to use only standard sh bits. In fact, Bash is probably the most POSIX
compliant shell going, especially when invoked as sh.

	At the same time, I share your frustration with the "web of
dependencies" that seems to envelop anything that goes near a GNU product.
Bash is better than most, but obviously my preference would be that it was
less GNU (and/or GPL, yes, I realize they aren't totally the same thing),
but that's how the sky falls sometimes.

Doug
--
On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only
nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter