Date:      Thu, 12 Jun 1997 22:07:41 +0800 (TSD)
From:      "Victor A. Sudakov" <vas@vas.tomsk.su>
To:        yura@binary.net (Yura Socolov)
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Internet providers discouraging customers from unix

Yura Socolov wrote:
> > In your case, if I were in your shoes, if such a neophyte as you have
> > described above, calls you and asks "how to exploit something cool",  I
> > would advise him/her some good books on Unix and man pages ;-)))
> >
> That would be fine, given those people actually wanted to learn, or actually
> could comprehend, for that matter. But unfortunately, that is not so in
> many cases, and certainly not in the cases of 'how do i hack something leet'.

That depends. Sometimes I have to answer very silly questions about unix,
but I do answer them.

Anyway, my point was a bit different. Let's imagine for a minute, that
Microsoft introduces a minor change into the PPP authentication in the next
version of its Windows NT. ISPs runnning NT will not even notice it perhaps.
But all unix customers will be automatically pissed off and forced to
install Windows 95 or NT. Is this what we all want?

Do not tell me that it is impossible. We have the example with windows
encoding spreading like plague over the Russian web. The next step is that I
am beginning to see messages in windows encoding in newsgroups.

> I don't mind, and actually like to teach people whatever i can. But why
> waste your time on the '1337 dudez'? Let them die with NT and destroy
> something there.

And destroy the Internet too.

--
Victor Sudakov