Date:      Mon, 04 Jan 1999 21:13:19 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sony Playstations..

At 08:03 PM 1/4/99 -0600, David Kelly wrote:

>Wasn't somebody doing a FreeBSD port to these things?   :-)
>
>Not so sure, but either the Sony or Nintendo is MIPS based with heavy
>SGI design consulting.

Sony Playstation is an R3000 if I remember right.. the Nintendo 64 uses SGI
chipsets.  They were delayed in production because of a low availability of
the chips at the time.  Aparantely the cost of the cartridges still suffers
because of this..

>Have been thinking of purchasing such a toy myself as I'm getting to
>like playing the flight simulator that ships with my SGI O2 at work. So
>the choice is a dedicated box to hook to my TV, or software for this box
>(meaning I won't be collecting any meaningful FreeBSD uptime
>statistics).

Emulation is kinda neat.  Although the Playstation Emulator (currently for
Win*, but it'll get ported when it gets improved I'd imagine) is pretty
impressive so far.  I get 28 fps under a certain game, but they say this
will improve over time.  Some games even have full emulation as of now.

Nintendo (8-bit), Super Nintendo (16-bit), TurboGrafx (16-bit (really it's
2 Z80's)), Gameboy, Game Gear/Master System, Genesis, and many others are
currently emulated for FreeBSD, Win*, Mac, and other Unix flavors (namely
Linux).  That's always something to consider I figure.  If I remember
right, fms's NES emulator is in the ports tree.  I can't really think of a
flight sim for 8-bit NES though.. I could ask I figure..

>Suggestions? Comments? Would be interested in a good flight simulator.
>Jet planes don't impress me. Would also like a car/driving simulation
>but not one with "NASCAR". God gave cars 4 wheel braking because he
>wants them to accelerate, shift, turn left *and* right, and brake, and
>that sounds good to me.

Hmm Need for Speed 3 isn't too bad.  Although I must say NFS II SE was a
significantly better game as far as controls.  Either of these are
available for Playstation, but I use them under that sad sad world of
Windows.

As far as Jet Planes go.. hmm.. Last time I used one was like Flight
Simulator 1 on a Mac Plus. :-).  Although, I gotta say things like Aces
over the Pacific, Aces over Europe, F117A Strike Eagle, MS Flight Sim..
There's a lot, many of them are available for emulated consoles for those
who want to avoid Win*..

Of course anything emulated has potential legal remifications, but what can
I say.. I'm a rebel or something.

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange, Bangor Maine USA
http://www.droo.orland.me.us

PGP ID: 409A1F7D