Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 2002 22:49:08 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 1.3.1 patchset 7 not quite ready

> > Signals 'mostly work' in -current, regardless of what they do in
> > HotSpot.  You may end up chasing your tail trying to fix Java bugs that
> > are in fact kernel bugs.
>
> I'm competent enought to know the differences between those bugs.

Julian (the person we get to blame for these bugs) can't determine why
sometimes it works and other times it doesn't, so I'm suprised you are
so confident in your ability to differentiate between kernel 'signal'
bugs and JVM bugs.

> What you've said is valid except that the solution is a backport of libc_r.
>
> > Fair enough.  Does Dan know exactly what parts of libc_r need to be
> > merged back in?  Can you help him out there, so that the changes are
> > made back to -stable, so that other developers (and users) can get a
> > chance at HotSpot?  That would be a temporary setback for you as far as
> > bit-twiddling and such, but it would bring the project and other
> > developers much further ahead.
>
> Dan shouldn't be doing that stuff either, he's got other crazy stuff to
> worry about. I was hoping that somebody else in this project would take
> that task on.

Dan *owns* libc_r.  If it's done to libc_r, he's the man to commit the
changes after reviewing them.

If you want the changes backported, then Dan is the man to do it.  If
you want it done sooner, let him know what needs to be done, (providing
patches, pointers, etc..)

Otherwise, it won't get done.

Nate