Date:      Tue, 29 May 2001 14:53:34 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        Bzdik BSD <bzdik@yahoo.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Acknowledgement by Jobs

At 3:46 AM -0700 5/29/01, Bzdik BSD wrote:

>  I was trying to give our gentleman-profiler a few more hints, don't
>  spoil the process<g>

	Seeing as Jordan has been to Nederlands at least once or twice
before (he was present for the launch of the Netherlands FreeBSD
Users Group, where he first announced the merger of Walnut Creek and
BSDi), I don't think that any hints I might drop would be likely to
give him much additional hints.

>                       as for beer invention, talk to monks from {Monken
>  on Isar}Munchen :)you'll end up fighting

	When do they claim to have invented it?  What was later to become
the Abbaye d'Orval (in southern Belgium) was established in 1070 (see
<http://www.orval.be/anglais/time/time1.html>), and on the 9th March
in 1132 it was formally inhabited by monks of the Cistercian order.

	Later, they followed the even more austere La Trappe model, from
whence comes the term "Trappiste", which may only be legally applied
to the five surviving monasteries of that order in Belgium (and one
in the Netherlands), which also happen to produce beer according to
the original methods (best known is Chimay, but there is also Orval,
Rochefort, Westmalle, and Westvleteren).

	Indeed, they appear to have been brewing beer at Orval, virtually
since it was founded (from
<http://www.orval.be/anglais/products/brewery/brewery2.html>):

		Throughout the long history of Orval, there has
		probably always been a brewery at the monastery.
		Various facts corroborate this idea: topographical
		references on old drawings; a detailed description
		of production left by a Franciscan visitor three
		hundred years ago; an area called the "hop-field"
		very close to the monastery.  To brew beer was
		customary in these areas little-suited to
		vine-growing. Beer was first and foremost
		considered for its nourishing properties: it was
		called "liquid bread".

>  the best beer is made by friends of Joseph Schweik anyway...no matter
>  what you say...

	Who?

	Anyway, as we know, the definition of "best" is always one of
personal opinion and relative to their particular preferences, but
many beer experts have considered Belgian Trappiste beers to be the
best in the world.  From Michael Jackson's "Beer Hunter" site (see
<http://www.beerhunter.com/documents/19133-000107.html>, Published in
Print: FEB 2, 1991; Published in: The Independent):

		Chastity, poverty and a pint

		They don't talk about it much, but Trappist monks have been
		brewing good strong beer for ages, writes Michael Jackson

		As my beliefs do not require me to give up any food or drink
		for Lent (which begins in the middle of this month), I shall
		instead add a pleasure. I shall buy myself enough Trappist
		beer to see me through to Easter.

>                                                          Belgian
>  chocolate is undisputedly superior to anything else {watch this line}in
>  its product cathegory.

	Again, "different strokes for different folks".

	That said, there are a number of world-class chocolatiers in
Belgium, some of whom are world-famous and much beloved by royalty
and high government officials around the world.  Myself, I can eat
quite a large quantity of chocolate, but the first place I've found
that creates what I would call "Haute Chocolat" is Pierre Marcolini,
and even I can only eat a few pieces at a time of their stuff.

>  Besides, why power of Unix on desktop? Haven't they failed this with
>  NeXT, the biggest flop of Jobz's? My neighbourhood restaurant has
>  already QNX installed, so does NASA...you still dreaming?

	The key problem is that many application programs are not as well
written as they should be, so when they crash, if the operating
system underneath them is not itself sufficiently robust, the risk is
that the application going down will take the OS with it.  This is
precisely what happens on both Macintosh and PCs.  One could argue
that Windows NT is a solution to this problem, but it is not a
multi-user OS, and suffers from a number of other design problems.

	IMO, the best solution for these problems is to have the full
power of the Unix OS on the desktop.  However, for reasons of user
(and programmer) friendliness, you also need a good GUI and
programming tools available, as well as a large enough mass market
that you can attract the kinds of programmers writing the kinds of
programs that your customers will want to use on the desktop.

>  I spent 9 hours today doing my regular gigs in mac OS 8.6, and believe
>  me: I tried them all. For what I do, the *productivity* is still on a
>  Mac Classic desktop. Black Holes suck, so does Mac OSX dock. Big time.

	It takes a while to get used to any new environment.  And MacOS
X/Aqua is a pretty big change over the classic "Platinum" MacOS
environment.

	However, I've read quite a few articles by people who trashed
MacOS X as much (or more) than you, but who became used to the
changes and even preferred them, after sufficiently acclimating to
the new environment.

	All it takes is time.  And until you've put in that time, you
really have no reason (or right) to treat it the way you have.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>          */